Monday, June 15, 2015

TURNING A BLIND EYE AND CLERGY COVER-UP

More fall-out in the United States in the wake of charges against the St. Paul and Minneapolis Archdiocese for having failed to protect youths from the abuse at the hands of pedophile priests.

The archbishop and a deputy bishop resigned today. In statements.  The archbishop, John C. Nienstedt, and the auxiliary bishop, Lee A Piché, said they were resigning to help the archdiocese heal.

“My leadership has unfortunately drawn attention away from the good works of His Church and those who perform them,” Archbishop Nienstedt said. “Thus, my decision to step down.”

Pope Francis has accepted the resignations. They resigned under the church law that allows bishops to resign before they retire because of illness or some other "grave" reason that makes them unfit for office.

Earlier this month, prosecutors charged the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis as a corporation of having "turned a blind eye" to repeated reports of inappropriate behavior by a priest who was later convicted of molesting two boys.

Speaking of errant priests, has the media in St. John's ever done any investigative reporting on Father Patrick Slaney who was convicted in 1993 of sex abuse while a priest in St. Bernard's? 

Slaney is still a priest but is prohibited from saying Mass or hearing Confessions. He was never laicized and does not receive a stipend from the Archdiocese of St. John's. He has no canonical faculties.

That has not stop hime from continuing to hear confessions in different places around the world. Slaney has allegedly made solicitations for Mass intentions and stipends to Catholic faithful in the Diocese of Manchester in the Archdiocese of Cincinnati. He has also allegedly held Mass and done Confessions at Fatima and on cruise ships.

Forgiveness, sure, but why has he not been laicized?

It flies in the face of new protocols to ensure the protection of minors and vulnerable adults from predators like Slaney.


No comments: