|GREAT NATIONAL POST ARTICLE|
I have known a few people who have suffered from eating disorders and witnessed the severe toll they have taken on the individuals and their families.
The Eating Disorder Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador (EDFNL) is a leadership advocacy group dedicated to promoting research and providing public support services and information about matters related to eating disorders, including information on available treatment services for individuals and families who experience disordered eating.
I was pleased to help fund raise and present a cheque to chairperson Vince Withers last year on behalf of the St. Paul's Knights of Columbus. You can help them develop programs and enhance awareness by providing a contribution. Tax receipts will be provided for donations over $10.00
Did You Know?
That recent surveys indicate there are about 8000 people/families over age 15 experiencing some form of an Eating Disorder
* That 15% of adolescents (female and male) engage in disordered eating behaviours
*That without early treatment up to 20% mortality is shown in long-term patient studies
* That anorexia eating disorder is the third most chronic illness in adolescents
* That there are irreversible health complications resulting from prolonged Eating Disorders
* That early treatment intervention generally results in ongoing good health and successful outcomes
* 1 out of every 5 Post Secondary Education student have a form of disordered eating
Related to self-image and the emphasis that the fashion industry and society places on being skinny, Ashley Graham, a size 16 bikini-clad model has been included in the much vaunbted Sports Illustrated's "Swimsuit Issue which hit stores this week. She is featured in an ad for Swimwear brand swimsuitsforall.
"I know my curves are sexy and I want everyone else to know that theirs are, too," the 27-year-old tells Us Weekly,