Caffeine in large quantities is dangerous, deadly dangerous!
I have written about my concerns with the potential danger of energy drinks and the need for warnings on cans/bottles.
Today, while driving along MacDonald Drive I witnessed a small group of junior high students sucking back on Monster Energy Drinks. Just a few weeks ago, I watched a documentary on CNN that focused on the danger these drinks presented to so children.
Dr. Sanjay said a 24-ounce can of Monster
is equivalent to seven cans of soda! SEVEN CASES! That is enough caffeine to really cause health problems in particular for those with undiagnosed medical issues.
A 2008 study by called fort warning labels on all energy drinks. Monster Energy Drinks have been Linked To 5 Deaths!
Anais Fournier of Hagerstown, Md., went into cardiac arrest and died in
December of 2011 after drinking two Monster drinks within a 24-hour
period. On Friday, her parents filed a lawsuit in a Riverside, Calif.,
Superior Court, blaming the company that markets the Monster energy
drinks for the death of their daughter. The suit claims the excessive
doses of caffeine directly caused their child’s death.
December of 2011, Fournier went into cardiac arrest and died after drinking two Monster drinks within a 24-hour
period. Her parents filed a lawsuit in a blaming the company that markets the Monster energy
drinks claiming the excessive
doses of caffeine caused their child’s death.
family's lawyer, Alexander R. Wheeler, says Forunier was
watching a movie at a mall when she suffered a fatal heart attack in
December. A coma was induced but she was taken off of life support after six days, the statement says: According to the autopsy, the cause of death was caffeine toxicity from an "energy drink."
A ticking time bomb? Indeed.
In Canada, these drinks have been classified as "natural health products". The federal government is moving to change the classification of energy drinks to "foods" but they refused a recommendation to introduce a ban on people under 18 years old purchasing the drinks.
The Health Canada Panel also wanted energy drinks to carry a label stating "stimulant drug
containing drinks" and list adverse reactions to caffeine including
insomnia, anxiety, allergic reactions, palpitations and withdrawal.
Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq cowed to pressure from the industry.
I think that these drinks should be sold under tighter regulations and include danger warnings.
What do you think?