Wednesday, May 9, 2012


The fortune cookie says it all!

I joined a couple of buddies for a feed of Chinese at lunch time. The fortune cookie confirmed the results of my MRI. 

The diagnosis of a brain tumor was of the most terrifying moments of my life. You automatically start to worry about the future and whether there is any likelihood that you will die from the condition.

The expectations, fears, and the anxiety level were not  proportional to the medical finding on the imaging. No treatment at this time. It is small and not growing. I'll continue for a number of years with imaging.

 The result, I have an incidental benign tumor that is of no medical consequence at this time.  The main type of management is watchful waiting, or “active surveillance”.   

A benign tumor stays in the same place and it will never spread to a different part of the body. 

I wonder if the tumor had anything to do with past cell phone use. From the early 90's to 2005, I had a cell phone attached to my shoulder an right side ear for most of my working day. There were trips to Stephenville from St. John's when the cell phone was nearly too hot to handle after being used for eight hours straight. Those phones were large. The phones themselves are very different from what was used in the past.

Cell phones give off a form of energy known as radiofrequency (RF) waves.  Concerns have been raised about the safety of cell phone use. The  concern focuses on whether cell phones might increase the risk of brain tumors or other tumors in the head and neck area.

The debate on whether cell phones cause brain damage continues to rage. Several dozen studies have looked at possible links between cell phone use and tumors. Most of these studies have focused on brain tumors. studies have not yet been able to follow people for very long periods of time. When tumors form after a known cancer-causing exposure, it often takes decades for them to develop. Because cell phones have been in widespread use for less than 20 years in most countries, it is not possible to rule out future health effects that have not yet appeared. I think it just makes sense to use hands free technology and restrict usage to only when necessary.

Now, where is that material wealth?


Anonymous said...

It's nice to hear of story where the tumor was not of any consequence. Happy for that outcome!

I had a trip to the emergency one evening with symptoms of a possible stroke or tumor. One sibling had already died of a brain tumor and another had a surgery to correct an issue with the head. So......

I tried to have an MRI done.

However, I am what you call "full figured" aka overweight and a little claustrophobic. It may have worked if I had been greased before being inserted into the tube however it appears that is not an option.

I lasted all of thirty seconds before being pulled out. No need to have a heart attack trying to get an MRI.

Here's the kicker. No other MRI machine in St. John's to do a large person with my issues. No MRI done.

Apparently this is not an ucommon occurance. Large persons, no MRI.

Marilyn said...

Glad to hear that everything is fine, Peter. Take care!

Anonymous said...


Anonymous said...

1. Very happy to hear that this is not bad news. I sincerely wish you health and happiness for another 60+ years!

2. You have yet to explain how this benign growth is Stephen Harper's fault, along with the cool wet spring on the Avalon and my neighbour working on his Harley while the rest of us are trying to sleep. That Harper is some bastard, wha? Rail on, drone!

Peter L. Whittle said...


Obviously, I really do not like or trust Harper. To my own defense, I do praise the government when it does something I like, or even dislike if it is noteworthy.

Thanks fallowing my polemics. I hope the noise from the neighbor working on his Harley subsides. Perhaps if Harper was not giving out all those tax breaks and had accepted some sort of Carbon tax this guy might not been able to afford that bike!

Anonymous said...

Good to know it's not cancer.

Take Care!

Gary N